Cedar River Montessori School fosters the innate curiosity of the child, presenting learning experiences that cultivate independent, creative thinkers who continuously build their understanding of themselves and the world around them.
- CRMS has operated for over thirty years and serves 120 students ages 3-8th grade.
- We are located between Renton and Maple Valley, 3 miles east of I-405 off the Maple Valley highway. Our students come from Renton, Kent, Maple Valley, Issaquah, and surrounding communities.
- We are a not-for-profit 501(c)3 organization.
- We have three early childhood classrooms (ages 3 – 6), two lower elementary classrooms (grades 1-3), an upper elementary classroom (grade 4-6), and a middle school (grades 7-8).
In 1978, Narda Farrell, her husband Bill Farrell, and her sister Melissa Baker decided to start a school. Narda realized that traditional education methods were not always successful in meeting the needs of children. Sparked by Maria Montessori’s writings, she researched best practices in teaching and learning and chose Montessori. Cedar River Montessori School was founded in 1981 on its present site, chosen for its peaceful location and home-like setting. In 2015, our Board of Directors purchased the property from the Farrell family, ensuring that generations of students to come will be able to benefit from our 12 Acre Classroom. Cedar River Montessori School is a 501c(3) non-profit, private, independent school.
Board of Directors
The CRMS Board is a dedicated group of professionals who bring a variety of experience and perspectives to ensure the long-term direction and viability of the school.
- Kathy Imahra – Board Chair
- Monica Hoffer – Treasurer
- Sherrie Marston – Secretary
- Crystal Pearson – Member
- Liz Clayworth-Scott – Member
- Hans Riefenrath – Member
If you are interested in talking to us about serving on a non-profit school board, we would love to hear from you. Please contact the main office at 425.271.9614 with interest.
- American Montessori Society – Full Member School
- Department of Early Learning – Fully Licensed Childcare Facility and Early Achievers Participant
- Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction – Approved Private School
- Pacific Northwest Montessori Association – Member School
- Washington Federation of Independent Schools – Member School