Early Childhood – Ages 3-6
(the last year is equivalent to kindergarten)
Typical EC Daily Schedule
9:00 Flag ceremony
9:00 – 9:30 Opening Circle
9:30 – 11:30 Work Time
11:30 – 12:00 Circle Time
12:00 – 12:30 Lunch (in the classroom)
12:30 – 1:00 Recess (outside)
1:00 – 1:30 Story/Rest Time
1:30 – 3:00 Work Time
3:00 – 3:25 Closing Circle
Our Early Childhood (EC) Montessori program prepares students for elementary level work by building readiness in language and math while also teaching them skills that support independence and social competence. Students starting as three-year olds will be ready for first grade following completion of three years in an EC classroom.
The EC program is a full-day, five-days-a-week program. Students bring their own lunches, and the school provides a morning and afternoon snack. There are 20 children in each of our three classrooms, with one certified Montessori teacher and one assistant.
Please note that children must be at least 3 years old by September 1 of their year of entry.
The program consists of five major academic curriculum areas:
- Practical Life: Cooperation, eye/hand coordination & small motor skills, animal care, and independence
- Sensorial: Concepts of volume, mass, depth, width, sizes, and other sensory development and PE
- Math: Concepts of numbers, place value leading to addition, multiplication, and subtraction
- Language: Prewriting, writing, and reading experiences; learning to express through language
- Culture: Geography, history, art, music, botany, zoology, physical science, geology, astronomy, and Spanish