Cedar River Montessori School fosters the innate curiosity of the child, presenting learning experiences that cultivate independent, creative thinkers who continuously build their understanding of themselves and the world around them.
Cedar River Montessori School is shaping the future by educating the next generation of connected, engaged, global thinkers who compassionately challenge the status quo.
Respect. We honor and model respect for the individual, communities, cultures, and the natural world.
Social responsibility. We value open-mindedness, diversity and inherent worth of individual differences that come together to strengthen our internal and external communities.
Environmental stewardship. We recognize our place in the natural world as humans, and our responsibility to understand, care for, respect, and protect our environment to the best of our capacity.
Integrity. We celebrate our present and future through informed, purposeful, and accountable social, financial, and environmental stewardship.
Advocacy. We believe in the power and voice of passionate and compassionate individuals empowered by conscientious awareness.
- Cedar River Montessori School was established in 1981 and serves 125 students age 3 – grade 8.
- We are located between Renton and Maple Valley, 3 miles east of I-405, off the Maple Valley highway. Our students come from Renton, Kent, Seattle, Maple Valley, Issaquah, and surrounding communities.
- We are a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization.
- We have three early childhood classrooms (ages 3 – 6), two lower elementary classrooms (grades 1-3), an upper elementary classroom (grade 4-6), and a middle school (grades 7-8).
In 1978, Narda Farrell, her husband Bill Farrell, and her sister Melissa Baker decided to start a school. Narda realized that traditional education methods were not always successful in meeting the needs of children. Sparked by Maria Montessori’s writings, she researched best practices in teaching and learning and chose Montessori. Cedar River Montessori School was founded in 1981 on its present site, chosen for its peaceful location and home-like setting. In 2015, our Board of Directors purchased the property from the Farrell family, ensuring that generations of students to come will be able to benefit from our 12 Acre Classroom. Cedar River Montessori School is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, private, independent school.
Board of Directors
The CRMS Board of Directors is a dedicated group of professionals who bring a variety of experience and perspectives to ensure the long-term direction and viability of the school.
- Kathy Imahra – Board President
- Monica Hoffer – Vice President, Treasurer
- Elizabeth Clayworth-Scott – Secretary
- Tom Darlow
- Noah Prince
If you are interested in talking to us about serving on a non-profit school board, we would love to hear from you. Please visit the Board of Directors page for more information.
Fiscal Year 2016-17 Annual Report
Our annual report from FY 2016-17 is available for download here (PDF).
- American Montessori Society – Full Member School
- Washington State Department of Children, Youth, and Families – Fully Licensed Childcare Facility
- Washington State Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction – Approved Private School
- Pacific Northwest Montessori Association – Member School