Early Childhood – Ages 3-6
(the last year is equivalent to kindergarten)
Typical EC Daily Schedule
9:00 Flag ceremony
9:00 – 9:30 Opening Circle
9:30 – 11:30 Work Time
11:30 – 12:00 Circle Time
12:00 – 12:30 Lunch (in the classroom)
12:30 – 1:00 Recess (outside)
1:00 – 1:30 Story/Rest Time
1:30 – 3:00 Work Time
3:00 – 3:25 Closing Circle
Our Early Childhood (EC) Montessori program teaches skills and concepts to support academic development, independence, grace and courtesy. Students build foundations for understanding by practicing life skills for everything from getting dressed to resolving conflicts. The Montessori approach helps children develop the capacity for sustained focus on work and an internal motivation and curiosity, which are key competencies that are further refined in our elementary program.
The EC program is a full-day, five-days-a-week program. Students bring their own lunches, and the school provides a morning and afternoon snack. There are 20 children in each of our three classrooms, with one certified Montessori teacher and one assistant.
Please note that children must be at least 3 years old by August 31 of their year of entry.
The program consists of five major academic curriculum areas:
- Practical Life: Cooperation, eye/hand coordination & small motor skills, animal care, and independence
- Sensorial: Concepts of volume, mass, depth, width, sizes, and other sensory development and PE
- Math: Concepts of numbers, place value leading to addition, multiplication, and subtraction
- Language: Prewriting, writing, and reading experiences; learning to express through language
- Culture: Geography, history, art, music, botany, zoology, physical science, geology, astronomy, and Spanish