2019-20 School Year
To apply for a position, submit letter of interest and resume to misserin-at-cedarrivermontessori.org.
New – 7.2.19. We are looking for a very special person to manage our facilities and to support the continued improvement and health of our farm, forest, and organic gardens! Candidates should have an eye for detail, a growth mindset, terrific follow through, experience maintaining facilities, and comfort working around large animals. Read below for more information!
Facilities, Farm, and Forest Manager
Cedar River Montessori School is seeking a facilities manager to coordinate maintenance in our campus buildings and throughout our 12-acre classroom! The facilities manager is responsible for ensuring the good working order of all campus facilities, including school buildings, barn, pool, greenhouse, and maintenance shed. This position also collaborates closely with our naturalist and animal behaviorist to support maintenance of our pasture, forest ecological restoration project, and organic gardens, and the care of our pasture animals, including guardian llama, alpaca, sheep, and goats. For a full position description, click HERE.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities
- Organizes and implements a program of preventative maintenance for all buildings, equipment, and grounds.
- Conducts routine inspections of school property for maintenance and custodial issues.
- Performs school maintenance tasks, including indoor and outdoor repair projects, keeping school infrastructure in good working order.
- With guidance from naturalist, weeds, mows, irrigates, prunes, and maintains health of organic gardens, trees and shrubs throughout school landscape.
- With guidance from naturalist, maintains stewardship forest trails, boardwalks, fencing, bird blinds, etc.
- With guidance from naturalist, maintains ecological restoration project, including removal of invasives.
- With guidance from animal specialist, maintains animal stalls, fencing, pasture, heavy use area, and animal waste/compost system. Provides back up animal care on designated weekends/holidays/breaks.
- Responds to and addresses all emergency maintenance and security issues.
- Coordinates bid process for all maintenance projects outside of scope of work abilities.
- Supervises and inspects the improvement and renovation work performed by outside contractors.
Skills and Qualifications
- Ability to interact with all levels of the school and be a collaborative team member who enjoys being around children.
- Self-driven, with strong attention to detail and ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to follow through on commitments.
- Must be able to understand and carry out oral and written instructions, as well as communicate with colleagues, students, and parents in an appropriate manner.
- Ability to operate and maintain a variety of hand tools, power tools and power equipment, small farming equipment.
- Comfortable and safe around large animals.
- Ability to work to independently and with teams.
- Knowledge of standard practices, materials, tools, and terminology of building trades, and familiarity with all facilities infrastructure including water heaters, heat pumps, electrical, lighting, water, septic, roofing, and fire systems.
- Knowledge of organic farming and gardening practices, native plants vs. invasives, common weeds, including those poisonous to pasture animals.
- Ability to walk, stand, maintain balance, climb ladders, crouch, lift up to 50 pounds, bend, stoop, and reach above shoulder level.
- Ability to withstand inside and outside environmental conditions.
- Ability to deal with moderate levels of stress related to time constraints and hazards of the job.
- Ability to perform a variety of semi-skilled and skilled activities including painting, carpentry, electrical repair, plumbing/septic, welding, and other maintenance work as directed
- Compliance with all safety and permitting requirements and safe work practices to contribute to the safety of self, colleagues, and the community.
- Working knowledge of basic computer skills, business English, spelling, punctuation, email, record keeping, report preparation, and mathematics.
- On-call 24 hours/day for emergencies
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent combination of technical school training/certification
- 3-5 years of experience in facilities, farm, and/or forestry management or related field, with school experience a plus
Working Hours and Conditions
- 8:30 AM – 5 PM, Tuesday – Saturday (exempt)
- Will be exposed to inclement weather and a variety of terrains
- Working in close proximity to large animals and animal waste
- Exposure to variety of cleaning and other chemicals
- Washington State and Federal Background Checks
Cedar River Montessori values the rich cultures, traditions, and ethnicities our families come from, and we are looking for diverse applicants who represent these backgrounds. To apply, send statement of interest and resume to misserin-at-cedarrivermontessori.org.
Floating Support Staff
Are you an energetic, positive, patient, and joyful person seeking to make an impact on our youngest generation of global citizens? Do you have a love of the great outdoors along with experience working with children? Can you bring with you a background of diverse experiences and perspectives to foster connections with our students, families, and staff?
We are seeking a Floating Support Staff Member for Summer 2019 and the 2019-20 school year to join an awesome staff. This role is a year round (summer and academic year), full-time, non-exempt floating support staff position and involves working in all of the classrooms, with all of the age groups, and on the playground. Hours are (roughly) 9:00-6:00 with a one hour unpaid lunch. Candidates must be empathetic, patient, flexible, and respectful. Each day is a little different depending on the needs of the classrooms and if a teacher, assistant teacher, or another support staff member is out sick. Duties include supporting the teachers, classroom management, encouraging independence in all children, and playground supervision. Ideal candidate will have a minimum of one year working with children in a group setting. Must be able to clear a state and federal background check (DCYF portable background check).
Cedar River Montessori values the rich cultures, traditions, and ethnicities our families come from, and we are looking for diverse applicants who represent these backgrounds.
We are always looking for great additions to our teacher and assistant substitute list. If you are interested, please send a cover letter outlining your Montessori experience, a resume, two references, and the DEL Employment Application form to email@example.com.
Located on 12 acres of forested wetland and pasture, Cedar River Montessori is an AMS accredited, independent, non-profit school for students ages 3 through 14 in Renton, WA. Cedar River Montessori students follow their natural interests as they explore their world, discovering the interconnectedness of personal responsibility, environmental stewardship, and social equity. Students learn how to work independently and collaboratively, experiencing a transformative education as they grow into the next generation of engaged, global thinkers who compassionately challenge the status quo. Founded in 1981, we strive to be a diverse and inclusive community.
It is the policy of Cedar River Montessori School that no person shall be subject to discrimination because of race; color; age; religion or creed; national origin, immigration status, citizenship or ancestry; sex, including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions; sexual orientation; gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, or sexual stereotypes; genetic information, including family medical history; disability; honorably discharged veteran or military status; marital status; status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking; or any other characteristics or activities protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all school programs, practices, policies and activities including client services and employment practices.